Friday 13 January 2012

Lesson: The Ugliness of Pride - From Sunday the 15th to Saturday the 21st of Jan


Bible verse to memorize

 " ... God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble." (James 4.6)

Objective of the lesson 

Lead the children to understand that God, in all His Glory, just can't stand pride! People who are proud and boastful are not fun to be around. But those who are humble will be honored and taken care of by the Lord.



Story: The Parable of the Tax Collector and the Pharisee

This week's story comes straight from the Bible. It was first told by Jesus to his disciples, and it carries a very important message. Do you want to know what it is? So, if you have your Bible and would like to read along, open it at Luke chapter 18 verses 10 to 14. Or else, just listen up!

"Two men went up to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men-robbers, evildoers, adulterers-or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.'
"But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.' "I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and
he who humbles himself will be exalted." Luke 18:10-14


This is a very short and simple story, but did you really get the meaning of it?

The Pharisee was a sort of religious leader, who also happened to be very hypocritical, and think he was better than everybody else. He was very boastful and arrogant, thinking he would get on God's good graces by the good things he did or have. He forgot that God could see how ugly his heart was like, and all the bad things he did when no one was around.

The tax collector, in the other hand, was the kind of guy who used to be know as someone who handled dirty business. He had a pretty bad past and knew he was in the wrong big time. He knew God was his only hope, or else... 

He wasn't going to pretend that he was good or worthy, when he knew he wasn't, but his surrender and confession brought God near. 

So from now on, remember that being proud is not a good trait. Be humble, and you will be happy!




Points to emphasize:                                                         

  1. God can't stand a proud person. In fact, nobody can!
  2. Humbleness is the opposite of pride. Remember, if the Son of Good himself was humble, who are we to be proud?
  3. Sometimes it is not always easy to have a humble heart. We must strive to attain it, and that is why we need the Holy Spirit.

Suggested activities and discussion: 

  • Are you proud sometimes? What are the kinds of things that children do that shows they are being proud...
A- With their parents and family members?
B- With friends?
C- With strangers?
D- At CBC?
E - Other occasions? 
  • How can I fix my behaviour in order to be humble instead of proud? 
E.g: If I used to boast about what I have, I will now...
       If I used to look down on others who are less fortunate, I will now...
       If I used to think I was the best at everything, I will now...
       If I used to be angry whenever I was rebuked, I will now...


No comments:

Children Biblical Centre presents...

Children Biblical Centre presents...

CBC Knocking Down the Walls of Jericho